Sunday 5 May 2013

girl-6

You may remember that I found some interesting pictures on the CG Artists forum. One of the was called a painting by Edward McEvenue based a photo called girl-6 by buzillo.


I had a go at printing a model of her in the grey ABS which I had been using recently but was disappointed to see that the print was badly split in several places.

 

I have been reading about some people who have been experimenting with printing in a new nylon material called Taulman 618. One of the claimed advantages is its superior layer bonding with greater resistance to delaminating. I thought I would give it a try.






So, what are my first impressions of printing with nylon?
Positives:

  • No odour
  • Sticks well to blue painter's tape even on a cold bed
  • Nice smooth surface with a lovely sheen
  • No delamination at all
  • Much more flexible (less risk of breaking)

Negatives:

  • Support material is harder to remove
  • Strings are tricky to remove
  • No way of smoothing the surface yet
  • Much more flexible (less statue like, more bendy toy)

Will I be using it again?
Definitely!


1 comment:

  1. I am using prusa mendel in open design. I believed the ABS is cracking due to temperature difference in height. I saw some people to put the whole printer in a carton box. I tried to use tall cardboard to cover 2 sides of printer. It helps a lot to print ABS without cracking.

    ReplyDelete